Ready, Steady, Grow! New Connections to the Internet of Things
By Thomas Butcher, Researcher and Consultant
New connections to the Internet of Things (IoT) are forecast to grow from 1.7 billion in 2015 to 3.1 billion in 2019, according to IC Insights. That’s a growth of 80% over some five years.
The Internet of Things: New Connections (1,000s)
Source: IC Insights
As if to underline the sea change that is forecast to take place, the Weltanschauung in 2019 is expected look like that of 2000: but turned totally on its head.
In 2000, only some 15% of internet connections served the likes of machine-to-machine communications, control, remote measurements and sensing, and embedded systems. The rest connected people to the Internet.
In 2019, it is expected to be the reverse, with connected objects, including vehicles and distributed sensors, together with consumer, commercial and industrial systems, accounting for 85% of attachments, and we, the people, now accounting for the remaining 15%.
Quite a change! And a huge opportunity for semiconductor companies.
About the Authors:
Thomas Butcher is an independent writer, researcher and consultant focusing, amongst other things, on strategic materials, in particular metals. With 35 years of experience in the financial world, he has lectured and spoken at conferences around the world. Amongst other things, he writes the «Letter from North America» in the Minor Metals Trade Association's bi-monthly publication The Crucible, and was lead author of the chapter on gallium (used in semiconductors) in the British Geological Survey's Critical Metals Handbook.
The article above is an opinion of the author and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of MV Index Solutions or its affiliates.